Pigg Jr., R. Morgan, H.S.D., M.P.H.
Department of Health Education & Behavior
- H.S.D. in Health Education, Indiana University (1974)
- M.P.H. in Public Health Education, Indiana University (1980)
- M.Ed. in Health, Physical Education and Recreation, Middle Tennessee State University (1970)
- B.S. in Health, Physical Education and Recreation, Middle Tennessee State University (1969)
- Curriculum Vitae
P.O. Box 118210
Gainesville, FL 32611-8210
Dr. Morgan Pigg grew up in Fayetteville, Tennessee. He was the first person in his family to attend college. He volunteered for the U.S. Army, where he served as a Psychological Operations staff officer during the Vietnam Era.
Following military service, Dr. Pigg began graduate study at Indiana University, where he received H.S.D. and M.P.H. degrees. His professional interests include child and adolescent health, philosophy and ethics, health behavior genomics, and effects of the “entertainment culture” on the civic, social, and character development of young people.
Dr. Pigg has held faculty positions at Western Kentucky University, the University of Georgia, Indiana University, and the University of Florida. He joined the University of Florida faculty in 1987. He served as Department Chair from 1987-1996, and from 2007-2008. He also served as Department Graduate Program Coordinator from 2001-2006, and from 2011-2012. In 1999, Dr. Pigg was selected as Teacher of the Year for the University of Florida. In 2017, Dr. Pigg was selected as Professor of the Year for the Honors Program at the University of Florida.
Dr. Pigg retired from fulltime work in 2014, with a 43-year career in higher education to date. He returns occasionally to teach his iconic philosophy and principles course as a courtesy faculty member in his home department. Dr. Pigg and his wife, Nancy, live in Gainesville.
- Child and adolescent health
- Philosophy and ethics
- Health behavior genomics
- Youth culture and social development
- HSC 3032 Foundations of Health Education
- HSC 5956 Writing for Professional Publications
- HSC 6037 Philosophy and Principles of Health Education